Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sunday in the city

Today we started off sitting on the stoop watching people on the street go by.  It is so much fun!  I love being with Ryan! I love being on vacation with Dan! I love being in New York! And this week these three things were wrapped up together, what a lucky girl I am!
 I tried to talk Dan into a haircut in Chinatown this morning, but for some reason he decided to wait until we got back to Bellevue so I could do the cutting.  He as a little afraid I think.
Out breakfast/lunch in Chinatown was a great success for Ryan and I.  We ordered way too much food and managed to eat almost all of it.  Dan would take a bite or two to try a few things, but was seriously glad he ate a slice of cold pizza left over from last night.  I love walking around the streets here.  You never know what you will find in the shops.
 We found beautiful Dragonfruit here in this corner market, and we bought enough for me to bring a couple of them home in my suitcase.
 Here we could have bought live frogs, eels, jelly fish, carp, shrimp, or a large variety of fresh fish and seafood still unrecognised in their crates.
Here is a window full of roasted ducks, chickens, game hens (maybe pigeons) and other things I didn't recognise all cooked, hot, and ready to go.


After shopping we went to see a show with Daniel Radcliffe and John Larroquette called "How to Succeed in Business Without Even Trying".  It was great!  And yes,,, Harry Potter can sing and dance.  He and Larroquette were hilarious playing off each other in their characters, the singing and dancing were done very well, and I can see why they got such good reviews.
I really wanted to see "Book of Mormon, the Musical" done by the same creators as did Southpark and Avenue Q.  It is a smashing runaway success, (as the signs so say).  But sold out....unless you wanted to pay great large sums of money to someone scalping tickets.  The cheapest tickets we could find were for $540 each ticket.  For that amount of money we will wait till fall and fly out here again and spend a reasonable amount for each ticket.

And after the show we wandered around times square for a little bit again.  Again seeing interesting people do interesting things.  Look at the face on the girls as they walk out for pictures with the Naked Cowboy at times square.  Ryan said he has been doing the same thing for years.  I think you are supposed to put his tips in...um...his boots! Yeah that's right, I said boots!
After finding our way back to the East Village we....stopped to eat again.  OK, any of you that know me know that's what I think is fun when I travel.  Eat in good places, look for good places, try unusual places, stop in odd places to try odd food, ask strangers about their favorite places, and making plans for the next place to eat. We all enjoyed the meal we had tonight.
Dan headed off after dinner to find somewhere to watch some of the NBA playoff game tonight and Ryan and I strolled around the block to buy an ice cream cone and look at a few interesting buildings as we went along.

These are pictures of two different buildings.  Beautiful vines growing on each.  But look at the size of the one growing across the front of the door on the second picture.  It must have been growing there for 20 or more years.
Such is the uniqueness of this crazy island.
Love you and wish you all a good life, good health, and good night.
Dan and Nic

No comments:

Post a Comment